As the voice teacher of some very young children, it can sometimes get tricky finding songs that suit their vocal range with lyrics that they can relate to. I also always consider the length of the song, the level of difficulty for pronouncing the words, the mood and tempo, and whether it appeals to the child.
Here’s a short list of songs that I’ve found children as young as 4 years old can manage. I intend to keep this list growing as I continue my search for the perfect songs for young children (apart from my favourite folk tunes, of course!)
SONGS FOR VERY YOUNG BEGINNERS IN SINGING
- Castle on A Cloud (from Les Miserables)
- The Second Star to the Right (from Peter Pan)
- Octopus’s Garden (short version from the Trinity Rock & Pop Initial Exams Book)
- Here Comes the Sun (short version from the Trinity Rock & Pop Initial Exams Book)
- Edelweiss (from the Sound of Music)