As the voice teacher of some very young children, it can sometimes get tricky finding songs that suit their vocal range with lyrics that they can relate to. I also always consider the length of the song, the level of difficulty for pronouncing the words, the mood and tempo, and whether it appeals to the child.
Here’s a short list of songs that I’ve found children as young as 4 years old can manage. I intend to keep this list growing as I continue my search for the perfect songs for young children (apart from my favourite folk tunes, of course!)
Depending on the very young student’s abilities, teachers may have to shorten the song (cut out a verse or two, or any section they deem suitable) to make it more manageable and of course, build the child’s confidence in singing.
SONGS FOR VERY YOUNG BEGINNERS IN SINGING
- Castle on A Cloud (from Les Miserables)
- The Second Star to the Right (from Peter Pan)
- Octopus’s Garden (short version from the Trinity Rock & Pop Initial Exams Book)
- Here Comes the Sun (short version from the Trinity Rock & Pop Initial Exams Book)
- Edelweiss (from The Sound of Music)
- My Favourite Things (from ‘The Sound of Music’)
- I See the Light (from ‘Tangled’)